Google Analytics

3.13.2012

Recent Project: Office with Live Edge Desk

Since I started my business a majority of my projects have been more traditional in look with a smattering of contemporary projects here and there.  Well, I'm excited about adding several recent contemporary projects to my portfolio including this project which mixes both contemporary and rustic elements.

My client has an office located in downtown Annapolis, in the great area of Eastport.  He not only wanted the new design to reflect his style and interests but also improve its function by providing better organization and storage.

Here are the BEFORE pictures.  My client was temporarily borrowing this L shaped desk which was too big for the space and visually too heavy for the room.

BEFORE picture


BEFORE picture

This first step in designing a room for someone is to not only find out their style preferences, but their functional needs.  In this case, we had to pack a lot of function into a small space.  My client wanted his desk space to be uncluttered with space for a computer and writing.  We recommended all paperwork, files, supplies, and the printer go behind him on a credenza with a hutch for additional storage...all unseen until needed.  The office was also in need of better task lighting.

Here's the space plan for the new office and the elevation of the new credenza and hutch.  The 6' credenza and hutch are along the wall.   Lighting was improved with a task light on the hutch, a desk lamp, and a large floor lamp.  A 5'10" desk will float in the middle of the office with accents chairs and table across from the desk.




Once the space plan is finalized, we put this digital look book together which included the furniture, lighting, and artwork to be placed in the room.  We also provide finish samples for furniture and fabrics for the proposed items.


After the look book was approved, the ordering begins.   Furniture is shipped to my receiver who inspects everything for me and stores them until the installation day.  On install day, I jam pack my car with toolbox, accessories, and glass and furniture cleaner.  I meet my receiver there and have everything placed in the right spot.

Here's the final result...


Every well designed room needs a focal point.  I think this office landed up with two...the custom designed live edge desk and wildlife photography.  Here's a close up of the desk...



My client and I were really happy with how the desk turned out.  The rustic top pairs nicely with the steel legs.  The oil finish on the desk top is beautiful.

Normally, this desk has a computer monitor on it but I had to take it off for the picture above.

Here's a close up of the Michael Land's photography on the wall.  Michael, who specializes in photography of the Chesapeake Bay, printed the photos in the size we needed and Artist's Framer did a beautiful job matting and framing the prints for us.



We also added these side chairs from Room and Board.   They have a great profile.  In between the chairs is an accent table with wood top and iron twig base.


The Knoll mesh desk chair below is a classic. The hutch can be seen here too along with the floor lamp with a base that is adjustable and wrapped in leather.   How nice to have a view of the water through the window.



Other items added to the office that you don't see are a gallery of family photos and a white board for keeping track of tasks.

One more AFTER picture....



Another fun project!  If you would like fun transforming your space into one you love...contact me.

Have a great week!

No comments: